At a Glance:
Out of all the rooms in your home, your bedroom is where you go to relax and unwind after a busy day. It is where you rest to restore your body and prepare for the tasks ahead. As a result, it is essential to design your bedroom with elements that bring you peace and calm.
For thousands of years, feng shui has been used to balance energy and create peace within the home. Following these simple ancient principles is an excellent way to create a bedroom that promotes calm, rest, and positivity.
Feng shui is a traditional Chinese art of arranging items in a space to achieve balance and energy. This harmony is thought to bring peace and prosperity to the people living in a feng shui environment. As a result, it is common for homeowners to incorporate these principles when deck decorating rooms that they spend a lot of time in. Since the bedroom is a place to relax and restore your body, it is a popular choice for feng shui decorating.
There are several things to avoid when creating a feng shui bedroom.
- No mirrors. Mirrors are thought to disturb sleep and increase the movement of energy. Therefore, avoid placing a mirror directly across from your bed. An ideal place for a mirror in your bedroom is facing a window or hidden behind a door.
- Reduce clutter. To maximize the benefits of feng shui design principles, energy needs to be able to circulate freely throughout the room. Therefore, removing unnecessary items from furniture surfaces and the ground is best.
- Avoid water and plants. Plants hold a lot of energy, and this buzz can overwhelm the space. In addition, water is considered a taboo element for the bedroom and is reserved for energy balancing in bathrooms. Remove small fountains, fish aquariums, or any other source of running water.
- Limit electronics. TVs, computers, and phones give off electromagnetic energy, even when they aren't being used. Avoid keeping electronics in your room while sleeping or place your bed as far away from them as possible. Use a nightstand to keep your phone off the mattress and place the TV on the furthest wall from the bed.
- Ceiling fixtures. Feng shui principles state that you should not sleep beneath an overhead fixture. This preference extends to chandeliers, ceiling fans, and other light fixtures. Instead, position the bed so that it is against a wall that isn't shadowed by ceiling decorations.
Most feng shui bedrooms are styled in neutral tones that are reminiscent of natural elements. It is advised to avoid using bright primary colors or natural jewel tones, as this will disrupt the flow of energy in space. The best way to decide on a feng shui bedroom color is to take inspiration from the five primary elements of feng shui.
- Natural wood
- Fire (can be represented in the color red or orange)
- Earth (represented by colors of brown and beige)
- Metal that is either white, silver, or grey
Layout matters when it comes to feng shui, so here are some tips when it comes to the placement of your furniture.
Bed: Place your bed against a supporting wall that is as far away from the door as possible. Your bedroom door should never be directly facing the bed. In addition, place your bed as far away from electronics and ceiling fixtures as possible.
Storage: Decluttering your bedroom is an excellent way to achieve balance and peace. You can accomplish this by adding storage pieces like nightstands and dressers to your bedroom. However, feng shui experts recommend placing items in pairs, so purchase storage units in matching sets as often as possible.
Artwork: Decorate your bedroom with inspiring wall art that gives you motivation and serenity.
Lighting: Feng shui emphasizes the use of natural light. As a result, it is best to choose light fixtures that offer a soft glow. Use floor lamps or table lamps sparingly throughout your bedroom to capitalize on the sun and moonlight that naturally shines into your space.
Now that you know the feng shui bedroom rules, how to create positive energy placement in a feng shui bedroom, and what colors you need to boost positive chi, here are a few pieces from Great American Home Store as bedroom feng shui inspiration.
This queen bed frame is made of distressed wood and has a pleasing, dark grey tone for Feng Shui Grey Bedroom Furniture. In feng shui, headboards represent stability. This bedroom set furniture is an even better fit because the headboard is made of a vital feng shui element. Be sure to place the bed in the commanding position so your bed is facing the bedroom door without being directly in the line of sight of the entrance.
Related: What is a Panel Bed?
Feng Shui Bedroom Storage Solutions
All bedrooms need storage, and when you place them proper these pieces properly in your space, you create the best path for positive energy to flow since excess clutter is neatly put away.
For brown bedroom furniture, buy a matching pair of these gorgeous espresso nightstands to create balance in your space. The deep tiger would finish providing warmth to any space. In addition, these nightstands contain USB plug-ins that will help keep your phone secure and away from the bed.
Avoid cluttering your bedroom with this rustic six-drawer dresser. This piece of furniture is built in perfect symmetry, with three identical drawers on either side. This design fulfills the feng shui principle of pairs and balance.
In addition, this dresser has spacious compartments that are large enough to fit T-shirts, sweaters, blankets, and more. The natural wood finish is accented by dark metal handles that are easy to pull. Choose this bedroom dresser to add the element of wood and organized order to your feng shui bedroom.
This eye-catching bookcase brings a unique sense of order to your belongings. Intersecting shelves create an interesting visual and have plenty of room to store miscellaneous belongings. That may otherwise clutter your bedroom. The natural wood finish is easily integrated with any interior decor style.
Stay organized and save space with this tall dresser chest. It is constructed of durable hardwood and features high-end details, including dovetail, drawers, full extension, glides, and felt-lined Interiors.
This wooden chest is finished in a dark espresso color and is slightly distressed to replicate reclaimed wood. The hardware is bold and easy to grasp, adding an additional stylish element to this piece. This dresser has a total of seven drawers, offering plenty of space to organize your wardrobe.
Feng Shui For Bedroom Seating
When choosing seating for your bedroom, make sure you choose chairs in pairs to create a personal lounge space.
For beige bedroom furniture, curl up with a good book before bed in this comfy chair and a half by Corinthian furniture. Its modern farmhouse design uses pleasing, neutral tones that complement a feng shui bedroom. This chair comes with two decorative throw pillows featuring soft beige, cream, and grey tones.
This bohemian bench is ideal for use in a feng shui bedroom. The upholstered cushion features feng shui coloring, including red, beige, blue, and brown. These tones relate back to the five primary elements of feng shui.
Place this bench at the foot of your bed for added seating or position it beneath a window as a place to relax and reflect on your day.
This bench is upholstered in a blue and grey Chevron pattern that mimics the flow of water. As a result, this piece is an excellent alternative to introducing a water feature in your bedroom. You can incorporate this critical feng shui element without violating the rule of putting actual water into the bedroom.
This gorgeous flower painting evokes feelings of peace and serenity. The calming blue and yellow color palettes remind the viewer of nature's beauty. Hang this wall art directly across from your bed and have an inspiring view when you wake up.
When you use Feng Shui to organize your bedroom, there are other benefits to allowing positive chi to flow into your sleep space.
- Relaxation. The harmonizing of energy brings a feeling of peace and relaxation to your bedroom. In addition, you will experience reduced stress and anxiety by following feng shui principles.
- Better sleep. Feng shui bedroom layouts are designed to keep energy effortlessly flowing throughout the space. This practice results in fewer interruptions in sleep and more restful nights.
- Improved health. The combination of reducing stress and better sleep patterns can improve your overall health and wellness.
- Luck and success. Some followers of feng shui believe that following the ancient practice will bring good luck, wealth, and success to those that inhabit a harmonious space.
Before starting a bedroom remodel, consider adopting feng shui principles into your design. Utilizing the five primary elements of feng shui will help bring balance and restore peace in your bedroom. There are several furniture options to help achieve this goal. First, visit The Great American Home Store for a wide selection of bedroom furniture that aligns with feng shui best practices. Next, browse wood and metal stylings in simple, sturdy designs that will bring you comfort, peace, and happiness in every area of your home.
Boasting the largest selection of in-stock home furnishings in the Mid-South, the Great American Home Store is your one-stop shop to find all the furniture and décor items your home needs. Our buying team is constantly searching across the globe for the next hot style in home fashion products. We go to several markets a year comparison-shopping to ensure you'll be able to find everything from formal living to casual comfort at the lowest prices. Since our business is backed by the manufacturer, we can promise that we bring you all your furniture needs at prices that are far below our competitors'.
At the Great American Home Store, we also understand the importance of offering a vast selection for any-size budget. We offer many flexible financing options with approved credit so that you can find the perfect furnishings to reflect your unique style.
Shop Furniture at Great American Home Store
The home of your dreams is closer than you think. Shop furniture online or visit us today at one of our furniture stores in Memphis, TN and the Mid-South. Check out our website to shop local furniture sales and subscribe to our email list to be the first to learn about our special offers. Our experts at Great American Home Store are always happy to help you discover more feng shui bedroom inspiration — whether you call us at 800-260-4898 or use our online chat feature. Contact us today!