At A Glance:
Beautifying your home by choosing pieces of home décor that spruce up your living space is a necessity. From the cushions to wall pieces, the aesthetics of a home can say a lot about the homeowner and their preferred styles.
Style and Comfort at Great American Home Store
Making a choice for a new bed is a pretty big decision as well. Whether you are moving into a new home or just need a change of scenery in your bed, it is extra important to choose the best. It has to be something that falls right within your budget, style, and comfort needs.
The sleigh bed is a popular style that has persevered through the centuries. It has a timeless design and can take your bedroom to a whole new level.
The sleigh bed has been around for a very long time, and its appearance has evolved with each generation. The name is a result of this bed style's unique curved or rolled head and footboard. It has a sturdy and solid construction and closely resembles a sled or sleigh that kids would ride down snowy hills.
The history of this bed has roots in ancient Greece and Rome; however, this bedframe made a comeback with a newly inspired look from French neoclassicism. They have remained so popular because of their many benefits. These include:
- Affordability: There are many affordable options in different styles, from elaborately detailed to minimalistic modern.
- Attractiveness: The sleigh bed is extremely attractive with its beautiful curves, carved detailing, and durable outlook.
- Offers many Options: They come in different materials like wood or metal, and can also be upholstered for a plush touch.
- Great sleep experience: A sleigh bed offers a slightly cocooned and enclosed sleeping experience. Sleigh beds' curved appearance also makes sleepers feel protected and safe within their bed.
There are so many variations of sleigh beds. They differ in storage space, headboard and footboard curvature, and the materials they are made of. Whether you're looking for a white or black sleigh bed, or something straight out of the Victorian era, they would fall into the following categories:
- Traditional Wood Sleigh Bed: It is usually made of dark wood (walnut, mahogany, cherry for a formal and elegant look) or light wood (pine, oak, maple for a rustic look). Traditional sleigh beds are typically crafted with curved headboards and footboards that have very ornate carvings and wood decorations.
- Contemporary Sleigh Bed: This is similar to the traditional sleigh bed but has a modern twist. Unlike their traditional counterparts, the footboard and headboard curvatures are asymmetrical for a perfectly imbalanced look that just works.
- Storage Sleigh Bed: This sleigh bed has storage compartments built into the design, which is helpful for anyone needing extra storage space in their bedroom. One can store clothing, bedding, and any other item required.
- Upholstery Sleigh Bed: The upholstery sleigh beds may be modern or traditional in their curvature. However, the upholstery on the headboards and footboards sets this sleigh bed style apart from the others. While they tend to cost a bit more, they are really beautiful and offer a chic look to the bedroom. While it is fun and possibly tricky to DIY the upholstery onto a wooden bed frame, it is better to buy an upholstery sleigh bed as is.
Choosing the perfect way to present your sleigh bed will bring out the beauty of its curves. You should try to:
- Show off its curvy contours but do not use oversized beddings that could hide the footboards.
- Pick a duvet cover or quilt that drapes over the sides so you can still showcase the beautiful curves and details of your footboard.
- Avoid ruffles, frills, and other fussy details as they may overwhelm the bed and compete with the decorative curvature of the bed rather than complement. The sleigh bed is meant to be the main focus of your space.
- Go for simple, charming, and pastel-colored beddings for a more classic and elegant look.
Why wouldn't you want a sleigh bed in your bedroom when there are so many distinct styles to choose from? That's why our Great American Home Store team has compiled a list of three customer favorites that could give your bedroom a luxurious and cozy touch.
If elegance was a queen sleigh bed, it would be the Arbor Place sleigh bed. This dark wood bed has been crafted with the best wooden materials from birch and poplar for a more traditional design. This piece features a unique rope twist cap rail, bolt-on rail system, center support slat system, and a unique scrolled headboard insert finished in brass metal. This gorgeous wooden piece of art brings serendipity and beauty to your bedroom. It combines both quality and style into one, and you are sure to love it.
- Crafted with poplar solids and birch veneers, and metal
- Burnished Brass Scrolled Metal Inserts
- Rope Twist Mouldings
- Center Arch Panel Features Step Molding
- Bolt-On Rail System
- Scrolled HB Insert Finished in Brass Metal
- Center-Supported Slat System
- Dimensions: 70"W x 94"D x 62"H
If you want a King sleigh bed, look no further than the Magnolia Manor King Sleigh bed because it has everything you need. It can house a good size king mattress and offers comfort and an enclosed feel while giving you enough space. It transforms your room with the design of a typical traditional upholstery sleigh bed. It also graces your space with the neutral and rustic feel of a white sleigh bed, thanks to the lighter woods used in its construction. The tones are warm, and the bed completes the full classic look of your room. This sleigh bed offers you the softness that your private space deserves and accompanies you on your journey to beautiful sleep.
- Upholstered in Tufted Chenille
- Bolt-On Rail System
- Center Support System
- Artistic Distressing Finish
- Dimensions: 82”W x 105”D x60”H
The Sophia Cherry Storage Bed is a wooden sleigh bed with a unique disposition that offers a combination of traditional design and functional storage options. The stylish sleigh headboard and bun feet are classic features for a well-designed bed, making the bed the centerpiece of any bedroom style. In addition to design, the footboard houses two spacious drawers for storing bedding sheets, pillowcases, or throw blankets, keeping all of your linens close by. This added element of convenience is a big reason why this bed set is highly valued. The love for the Sophia Cherry Bed elevates when you collect other Sophia Cherry Storage Bedroom Suite pieces. The Sophia Cherry Storage Bed is an excellent choice if you are looking for a traditional sleigh bed with added storage convenience.
- Two Storage Drawers on Footboard
- English/English Dovetail Drawer Construction
- Ball-Bearing Drawer Side Glides
- Antique Bronze Hardware
- Constructed of Rubberwood & Pine Solids and Cherry Veneers
Sleigh beds are a great way to give your bedroom a mix of modern and traditional styles. Once you've found your ideal bed frame, shop The Great American Home Store's wide variety of premium mattresses, pillows, and other bedroom items online or in-store to customize your sleigh bed for the most comfortable sleeping environment.
Learn more about sleigh beds and check out some of the frequent questions we've gotten from our Tennessee and Mississippi customers.
Q: Can you upholster a sleigh bed?
A: The usual or go-to material for a sleigh bed is wood; however, this classic design comes in stunning upholstered versions. If you get a wooden sleigh bed, it could be really stressful to upholster a bed. On the other hand, treat yourself to a nice upholstered version that is fit for your bed.
Q: Do you need a box spring with a sleigh bed?
A: A box spring usually helps offer support to a mattress. However, a sleigh bed does that on its own, so it is unnecessary. Your sleigh bed has the right height; all you need to do is get the correct mattress.
Boasting the largest selection of in-stock home furnishings in the Mid-South, the Great American Home Store is your one-stop shop to find all the furniture and décor items your home needs. Our buying team is constantly searching across the globe for the next hot style in home fashion products. We go to several markets a year for comparison shopping to ensure you'll be able to find everything from formal living to casual comfort at the lowest prices. Since our business is backed by the manufacturer, we can promise that we will bring you all your furniture needs at prices that are far below our competitors.
At the Great American Home Store, we also understand the importance of offering a vast selection for any size budget. We offer many flexible financing options with approved credit so that you can find the perfect furnishings to reflect your unique style.
Shop Luxurious Sleigh Beds at Great American Home Store
The home of your dreams is closer than you think. Shop sleigh beds online or visit us today at one of our furniture stores in Memphis, TN, and the Mid-South. Check out our website to shop for local furniture sales, and subscribe to our email list to be the first to learn about our special offers. Our experts at Great American Home Store are always happy to help you discover home accents — whether at 901-633-1549 or using our online chat feature. Contact us today!
Learn More: 6 Unique Home Accents to Decorate Your House